Friday, August 16, 2013

The World's End

Co-writers Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright bring their Cornetto trilogy to an end. Both literally and figuratively.
For those who read my very first blog will know, one of my top 10 favourite films of all time is 'Shaun Of The Dead'. Not only was it brilliantly written but it featured my three favourite genres: comedy, romance and horror. The follow up 'Hot Fuzz' was brilliant too. Now Simon and Edgar take us to 'The World's End'. You can tell that I am a huge fan of Edgar, Simon and Nick Frost but I am willing to admit there are problems with their work (except maybe 'Shaun Of The Dead' which I think is perfect). The problem with this film is the mixture of genres. In 'Shaun' they were able to successfully make a romantic comedy with zombies. In 'Hot Fuzz' they managed to make a big action packed buddy cop film but set it in a small English village. This time they were less successful in making a reunion comedy with alien invasion. While there are many funny moments there were they were just not as funny as their previous films. I did not laugh-out-loud as much as I have before. I also noticed a few problems with the plot and characters. Despite all that I still enjoyed the film. Edgar is skilled at making create action scenes and there are several good ones here. I really liked the fight scene in the toilets. The films best moment was the way they referenced Cornetto.
I think Simon Pegg is one of the best comedic actors working today. He can also do drama as well. He is excellent here but I found his character too annoying and thus not as funny as he has been in previous films. I did however like Nick Frost in this film more than in previous films. He seems more subdued in this role and it really suits him. Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan are great as the rest of the gang but don't have all that much to do plot wise. I loved Rosamund Pike in this film. She is mostly known for her dramatic roles so I liked to see her expanding into comedy. There was also great delight in spotting some familiar faces (and voices) in cameo roles.
While it does not live up to the high expectations I had for it based on previous Cornetto films. Being a fan I'm willing to over look its flaws. 

No comments:

Post a Comment