Friday, December 21, 2012

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Those films that feature the underdog are always some of the best films. This is the type of character that most people can relate to.
I was very much an introvert in high school. There were a few guys who I would talk to but none that I would call friends. I did not live in the area where my school was so it was not like I could meet up with my school friends on weekends. Most of the time I kept to myself and did not socialize with others. Unlike Charlie, in this film, I did not have a couple of older kids to help me come out of my shell. This would have to be one of the better 'coming-of-age' films I have seen lately. I think part of the reason that I liked it was because the film is set in the 1980's which is about the time that I was at school. It was set at a time that I could relate to. Something I cannot seem to do with lots of the modern type high school movies. One other thing I could relate to was the making of mix tapes. While I did not make mix tapes for other people, I made them for myself. Taping my favourite songs off the radio. There is also the very relatable issue of being in love with some one who does not exactly feel the same way. That is something which is universal. I was a little bit concerned when I found out that writer Steven Chbosky was not only adapting his own book but directing the film as well. Sometimes writers can be a bit too close to their material to make them effective. Steven, though has done an excellent job and manages to bring out all the emotion of the situations and directs with competence. My only major fault would be that I thought the ending was a bit too happy.
Logan Lerman does an excellent job as the sweet Charlie. He pitches the role at the right level of timidity so that he does not completely get taken over but his more over bearing co-stars and still make his character memorable. This would have to be one of Emma Watson's best roles since finishing the Harry Potter series. I think here she was better than she was as Hermione. Ezra Miller made an effective performance in 'We Need To Talk About Kevin', so it is nice to see him go from being so evil to being so good. Ezra is definitely the stand out in the cast. There are some nice performances by adults too. Kate Walsh and Dylan McDermott do a good job as parents without resorting to cliché. The same can be said of Paul Rudd who plays Charlie's favourite teacher. I was disappointed by Joan Cusack's small role.
One of the best 'coming-of-age' films I have seen in a long time. An emotional journey that I'm sure many can relate to but 80's kids could probably get more out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment