Sunday, December 16, 2012

God Bless America

You may remember Bobcat Goldthwait as the crazy, out of control guy from the 'Police Academy' movies. Bobcat has now calmed down and become a director.
As a script writer I am not a fan of reality TV. I do not watch any of those shows and from the bits I've seen I find the people on them to be in no way interesting. So when I heard what this film was about, I got a bit excited. I'm a huge fan of black comedies so this film definitely appealed to me. Our hero Frank gets to do what most of us sometimes dreamed about doing in our sickest moments. If we had nothing to live for, to go around killing people we hated. The film begins with a very sick and twisted dream sequence which made me laugh a lot. The plot is pretty clichéd and is only a way for Bobcat to rant about what is wrong with America, but he does it in a very entertaining way. It is a clever satire on our modern life and obsession with certain people in the media. He also has a go at how people have no manners anymore and have become so selfish. The great thing is that even though Frank is going around killing people he has a good reason for doing it. There are a few people who come into the firing line but he does not kill them because they are not nasty enough. The targets might be obvious but you don't mind when done so hilariously.
Joel Murray is probably a face that is familiar to you. He has appeared in many films and TV series in small roles. I think this is his first lead. He is perfect as our put-upon hero. Being a less familiar face means he can play the regular type guy role. Joel has that deadpan quality which makes him funny as well as real. His partner in crime Tara Lynne Barr is equally as funny and a nice side-kick for Joel. She has the perfect balance of sweetness and nastiness. I also liked how they did not take their relationship in the obvious direction.
It may look cheap and be very wrong but it sure is funny. Let Frank and Roxy live out your dream of getting even with society.

No comments:

Post a Comment