Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil


It was very sad when I came to this my final film at this years Sydney Film Festival. I'm a huge fan of the horror/comedy genre so I had very high expectations.
Writers Morgan Jurgenson and Eli craig have created a brilliant comedy that takes the horror concept of college kids being terrorized by hillbillies in the woods and turns it on its head. They have cleverly crafted many hilarious situations that make our heroes misunderstood. You just cannot believe how much bad luck they have. I'm very jealous as I have also had an idea for a similar type of film but mine would not be as good. Most of the humour is slapstick and is a little bit silly but is so funny that you don't mind. I don't think I have ;laughed as much in a film in a long time. Normally these films are seen from the college kids point of view and the killer hillbillies are mostly unseen. But here we get to see it from the supposed 'hillbilllies' point of view. And don't worry because there lots of blood and guts too.
I'm a fan of Alan Tudyk from his work on the TV series 'Firefly' and movies like 'A Knights Tale'. I think he is a brilliant comedy actor. And he is excellent here. He is the straight man of the duo but still gets lots of funny situations. Tyler Labine makes an wonderful comedy partner for Alan. The two of them work so well together. Tyler is so good at bringing out the sweeter side of his character. Katrina Bowden plays one of the best supporting characters in the TV series '30 Rock'. Her character here is less of a dumb blonde but still a great performance. Jesse Moss is excellent as the more troubled of the college kids. He keeps you guessing as to his characters sanity.
I had a hard time deciding if this film or 'The Tree Of Life' was my favourite at the Sydney Film Festival For horror fans this is one of the best comedies ever made. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment