Thursday, June 23, 2011

Super 8


JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg have an interest in aliens and team up to bring us this tribute to old school film making.
I was very jealous of this film. Many film makers have a story of spending their childhood making films with their friends. But I did not get to do this. While I would like to have made films i did not know anyone who shared my interest. While I could have got a camera and made some I was more interested in making up the stories and writing rather than going out and doing the filming. This is the role I'd prefer to take when I make movies. I would rather write than direct. It is always great to see people who have a passion for film. People who understand the art form and know how to use it. The group of kids in this film certainly have the skills to be great film makers. I know that the alien has been the focus of the marketing campaign for the film but that is not what it is really about. The escaped alien is merely the backdrop for the story of a father and son coping after the mother has died. The son is growing up and learning about the world. As well as falling in love. JJ certainly proves that he can write real human stories as well as action pact sci-fi. Despite the unbelievable part of the escaped alien the story and characters are really rooted in reality and you come to care for them.
JJ has assembled an excellent cast of young characters here. Especially when you consider that this is the first film for many of them. Joel Courtney makes a very fine young hero and he can certainly handle the emotional load his character has to deal with. I was also impressed with Riley Griffiths. He is great as the director of the film. You can really see that as his life long career. Elle Fanning is the more experienced actor of the group and proves it nicely in one particular scene for the film they are making.
Don't believe the hype and go into this film with some low expectations. You will be very surprised by a great human drama with a little sci-fi action on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment