Wednesday, June 22, 2011

POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold



For my second documentary at the Sydney Film Festival I learn about how product placement has become a huge business in film making.
Documentary film maker Morgan Spurlock has had an influence on my life. After his 2004 film 'Super Size Me' I've no longer bought anything from a McDonalds restaurant. It was not because he proved that eating a constant of McDonalds food was bad for you but McDonalds reaction to the film. It was shortly after this that they introduced more 'healthier' options to their menu while claiming that it was not a result of the film. I found that to be a ridiculous. Was it just a coincidence that they decided to change the menu after a film comes out that proves their menu is not exactly healthy? I don't think so. So I decided that McDonalds is a huge multi-national company who does not need my money as they have enough already. I know that my small protest is not going to have any influence on them but it just makes me feel good.
Since 'Super Size Me' Morgan has not had much success. His last film 'Where In The World Is Osama Binladen' was a bit of an overachievement. With this film Morgan moves back to safer territory. But still not as successful. As a film it is very funny. Morgan is a funny guy. But much like his previous film I think he lacks the information to make this a documentary that you can learn from. There is not much here that I did not already know about product placement in films. As a frequent film goer I usually find product placement something that stands out a lot. They usually make it so obvious that I can't help but notice it. Many others may not notice it as much as I do but to me its quite obvious. What I found really interesting is that the film is making fun of the whole concept but companies were still willing to sponsor the film. Morgan notes that they did not have any influence over the film but considering how Morgan treated McDonalds I'm surprised that they spoke to him in the first place. Morgan makes a great deal of fun of ads and advertising to great amusement. Not sure if the companies may have thought people would be laughing with them not at them.
Not as successful as Morgan Spurlock's debut hit film 'Super Size Me' but still a very funny look at advertising in movies and the lengths companies will go to to get your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment