Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Beaver


For my third Festival film I chose a movie which I was most looking forward to seeing at the festival. A couple of years ago when they announced that this movie was being made and the talent involved I got really excited.
The premise of this film is an interesting one and something that is ripe for comedy. But also pathos as well. Jodie Foster had proven herself to be a very skilled film maker not only in front of the camera but behind it as well. Here she once again demonstrates that great skill. It is one of those situations that can be hard to pull off and Jodie has some success but not quite. Maybe my high anticipation of the film may have patched over some of the problems the film has. The biggest problem though is how Walter became depressed in the first place. We are not told what lead to his depression we are just told he is depressed. I do not know much about depression and how it occurs but I would have liked a better explanation as to how Walter became depressed. Despite that I thought the film was very well made and the story a very sweet one. We must admire Walter for trying something to help get over his depression. as sill as it may seem that he now talks through a ratty old puppet of a beaver, it is still something which seems to work for him in reaching out to the wider world. Considering he had just about shut himself off. There is also an excellent subplot involving Walter's son, Porter and his relationship with a girl at school. I found that an interesting story and one that works well in tandem with the main plot.
It is one of those disappointing things when outside influences can affect peoples judgement. One thing I predicted when this film was first announced was that Mel Gibson would win an Oscar for his performance. I had enough faith in him to believe that it would come true. However certain events in his private life have prevented that prediction from ever coming true. This is probably one of Mel Gibson's best performances ever. He has the excellent skill at being able to move from the drama to the comedy of a situation. If the events of his life had not occurred and the film had been released last year, I think Colin Firth would have had some serious competition. Jodie Foster is a generous enough performer to let her star take centre stage. Jodie takes a step back to let Mel shine and in the process gives a wonderfully understated supporting performance. Anton Yelchin is quietly emerging as an excellent young talent. While he plays the insolent young teenager he is able to steer clear of too much cliche. Equally as good is Jennifer Lawrence another young performer who is an emerging talent. I also found Riley Thomas Stewart wonderfully sweet at the youngest son of the family.
I admit that while it may not be as completely perfect as I may have hoped story wise, I still think this is an excellent film with a great deal of emotion and humour. If you can forget what you hear in the tabloids then I encourage you to see this for one of Mel Gibson's best performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment