Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rocket Science


I find the distribution of films in Australia a fascinating thing. While some potentially popular films go straight to DVD, others such as this one get a cinema release. Being such a small independent film I did not think they would bother. Plus it was made 4 years ago.

I normally like really quirky independent films. I was also a fan of this directors previous film the documentary 'Spellbound'. However I really did not like this film. The first half was quite good and it seemed to be going in an interesting direction. Then a twist happens and it goes down hill very fast. The twist seem to take the film in a directionless area. You don't really know what is happening and where the film is going. I did not understand the twist either as it made not much sense. I realise that it may take the film in an interesting direction but to me it made no sense. It changes a characters motivation for their actions which made no sense to me. The most interesting thing for me was debating. I did debating at school and it was never like this. I can't believe how fast these people talk. I'm so glad I did do more debating as I'm not sure I could keep up with the talking.

I think part of the reason the film got a cinema release was Anna Kendrick. Her popularity in the 'Twilight' movies and 'Up In The Air' has meant there could be interest out there. She is pretty good here in one of her early roles. Nicholas D'Agnosto is good as Ben, and this may sound bad but his stutter did irritate me a little.

I may be the only one who feels this way but this film did not work for me. The plot was a little strange and took a direction I did not like.

No comments:

Post a Comment