Monday, June 7, 2010

Heartbeats (Le Amours Imaginaires)


This is probably my favourite time of year. Many people love Christmas and opening their presents. But for me I get a real thrill from getting the Sydney Film Festival program and then choosing the 10 films I will see. While it is fun to go through and make a list of films I want to see, the tough part is then cutting that down to only 10 films and then organising when to see them. I think I have chosen a good list this year. Some of my favourite films of the year I see at the festival. Let's hope that happens this year.

First off is a French/Canadian film from a young director Xavier Dolan with this being his second film. It tells the story of friends Francis and Marie who both fall in love with the same guy. This is a very funny story that shows a nice modern relationship. I can relate to it in some ways, in so far as I have trouble picking up on clues as to whether someone likes me as a friend or they want a relationship. That is the trouble Francis and Marie have when they meet Nicolas. All three have a great deal of fun as 'friends' but both Francis and Marie compete with each other to try and win over Nicolas. There is very little dialogue in the film and a lot of it takes place in reactions of the cast. Funny reactions too. Director Xavier does over do it a bit with slow-motion sequences. I also thought the ending took a little too long as well. Just when you think its going to end there is a bit more. Xavier has also done a 'When Harry Met Sally' and put interviews with people in the film asking them about love. It did not work for me as these people did not come across as 'real' people but actors, which defeated the purpose of the segments.

The films director Zavier Dolan began his career as an actor and has cast himself as Francis in this film. He does an excellent job and has given himself some of the funniest stuff. Monia Chokri is excellent as Maria and makes an excellent half of Xavier's comedy. Niels Schneider is good as Nicolas but does not have all that much to do except look pretty. Which he does very well.

A good but not great romantic comedy from a very talented director.

No comments:

Post a Comment