Saturday, June 5, 2010

New York, I Love You


This is a sequel to the 2006 film 'Paris, Je T'aime'. The producers plan on making these collections of short films about love in various cities around the world.

Normally I am not a big fan of short films. While I do enjoy the odd story it is not something I get very excited about. I've made a short film but have no desire to do it again. My ideas for movie plots are too grand and can not be contained in the shortened time frame allotted to the short film. As with 'Paris, Je T'aime' I found myself enjoying this more than I thought. While these are short stories and they each have their own storyline, they are more like glimpses into the world of various couples and their own love story. But as is natural with these types of collections you are going to have favourites. Bret Ratner's segment is very funny. I liked the twist in Yvan Attal's segment. Shunji Iwai's segment was a nice sweet story. Allen Hughes' segment was very well written as well. They were a few of my favourites but I enjoyed all the others in their own way.

For me this film showcased some examples of misconceptions I had about certain actors. Orlando Bloom has not done much of late after the 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' trilogy. I thought he was excellent in his segment. As with most of them I wish we'd see it expanded into a full length feature. Anton Yelchin displays a nice knack for comedy and I could see him doing a romantic comedy soon. The biggest revelation though was Shia LeBeouf. I had not thought of him as much of an actor and very over rated. However his performance here was excellent and proves that when given good material he can really shine.

It may annoy some people that it is only a series of short films and not one big story. Normally that would annoy me too. But I found myself enjoying this a lot more than I expected. Maybe it appealed to my romantic side.

No comments:

Post a Comment