Sunday, June 20, 2010

Four Lions


At last year's Sydney Film Festival I got to the brilliant political comedy 'In The Loop'. This year I got to see a very similarly styled comedy 'Four Lions'.

Before the film director Chris Morris did an introduction, telling us briefly his inspiration for the film and how he came to write it. It was a brilliant introduction and he was hilarious. I got a bit worried that maybe the film would not live up to such brilliance. I need not have worried. Much like 'In The Loop' I have not laughed as much in a film in a while. There were a few scenes which I laughed so much at that I missed the joke. The issue of suicide bombers is an unusual one to make a comedy out of. But after you hear about some of the stories Chris found doing his research you wonder how it has not been done before. I suppose it is a bit of a sensitive issue and you don't want to make light of people that kill so ruthlessly. There is also a certain danger in depicting these people as 'fools', you can make them seem less threatening. Or more threatening as their bumbling actions can possibly cause more harm. Chris however has been able to walk that line really well and make a very funny comedy. There are some really clever lines in the film which is the kind of comedy I prefer. But there is also hilarious visual comedy as well. Some of it is a little predictable but still hilarious all the same.

The cast are mostly unknown to a wider audience. That does not diminish their greatness. Chris has brought together an excellent cast of actors. They all have great comedy timing and can play the jokes well. I think having a lesser know cast helps to make the characters seem more real. Nigel Lindsay was probably my favourite. His accent I think made him sound funnier than the rest of the cast. He also has one of my favourite moments in the film.

I highly recommend this brilliant comedy for those who like their films to be a bit dangerous. It will certainly make you think twice about suicide bombers.

No comments:

Post a Comment