Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3

The hostage drama is a very popular genre in film. We have seen so many of them there kind of needs to be something special about it to make it stand out and be good. Sadly this film does not have it.
To compare it to the last hostage drama to feature Denzel, this film does not have any interesting twists or characters to make it great. It is just very ordinary with the same sort of characters you see in these films. Plus you add to that Tony Scott’s boring directing style and you get a very ordinary film. Tony is using the same quick cut, swinging camera moves for all his films lately and it’s getting old. Sadly I did not get to see the original before I saw this one but I really want to so I can compare them. The story does not look like much has changed except some crazy camera moves.
The other problem I had with the film is the casting. I’m not a fan of Denzel Washington. I don’t think he is as great an actor as everyone says he is, and this film proves it. His character is supposed to be a really ordinary, average guy caught up in a tough situation. But I did not feel that of Denzel. He still came across as the tough hero type he does in all his other films. John Travolta was OK but came across more like he was trying to toughen himself up to make people forget he dressed in drag. I did however like James Gandolfini. He was the only one that made you forget his previous roles and make you believe he could be the mayor of New York.

A nothing special hostage drama that brings nothing new to the genre.

1 comment:

  1. Harsh Brad! I loved it, although I am a little biased to the genre as you said haha (mitch)

    ReplyDelete