Thursday, September 10, 2009

Push

Ever since ‘X-Men’ became a huge hit a few years ago not only has there been an influx of films featuring superheroes but there have been films featuring people with mutant abilities. This film is the latest.
I had pretty low expectations for this film and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The film has an interesting premise and a very exciting plot. I found the twists and turns really good. There are only a couple of problems I had. A few people have commented that they found the film confusing. I don’t entirely agree with this. The problem I have is that there are a lot of different types of people with special powers in the film and so not all are given enough space. It would have been nice to maybe have less ‘types’ of people with special powers or have some of them explained better. You know what’s going on; it’s just that there are not enough details given. However in saying that another problem I had was the film runs a bit too long. There were some scenes that seemed to drag a little bit too long. It could have done better loosing about 10 – 15 mins.
Chris Evans does not really do many note-worthy films, but he is usually the best thing in them. I think he’s quite good at being the cocky hero and he does it well again here. Dakota Fanning is really proving herself as an excellent actress and choosing a diverse range of roles. She has mainly stuck to drama so it would be nice if she did a comedy. This film really shows her growing up. One other disappointment I had was Djimon Hounsou. I think he is a brilliant actor and love him in everything he does but here he is not given all that much to do and so the role is not very worthy of his talents.

An excellent sci-fi thriller that is far better than you might expect. A lot of run to watch but you may get lost in some of the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment