Monday, September 7, 2009

The September Issue

I really like films that show you something you did not know about. The best type of film that does this is documentaries. As long as they are entertaining as well. This film is both.
There have been a couple of TV series like ‘Just Shoot Me’ and ‘Ugly Betty’ which show you behind the scenes of a fashion magazine. But as you expect with that type of thing you don’t get to ‘learn’ much about what really goes on. So that’s what I really enjoyed about this film. You really learn about the goings on at a world famous fashion magazine and all the effort that goes into it. The September issue of Vogue is their biggest of the year so an extra amount of effort goes into it. As you will see from the huge amount of pages it has. I don’t really understand fashion. As those who know me know I don’t exactly dress in a fashionable way. My uniform is usually a movie and /or TV t-shirt and jeans with Timberland boots. I have no idea what looks good and what looks bad. After seeing this film I still don’t really know but I found it interesting to see how people decide on what is and what isn’t fashionable. It was also fascinating to see what goes into fashion shoots. It shows how much effort goes into it and how it all comes out as real wonderful works of art. There were some photos rejected from the issue that I thought looked brilliant.
As many will know Ann Wintour was the inspiration for Meryl Streep’s character in ‘The Devil Wears Prada’. It was nice to see that Anna bears very little resemblance to her fictional counter part. Something that this film does that ‘Devil’ didn’t really do was to make Anna seem more human. We get to see Anna with her daughter which to me was one of my favourite parts of the film as you get a much better insight into Anna and who she really is. We learn she is not just a ruthless editor of a fashion magazine. The only similarity I saw Anna’s office looks almost identical to the one Meryl had in ‘Devil’. I also really enjoyed Anna’s second in command Grace Coddington. Grace is a really nice woman who has been in the fashion industry most of her life and despite Anna doing things she does not agree with, Grace still reacts with grace.

This is not a film just for people who are into fashion. You can learn why fashion is so important to a lot of people. An entertaining way to learn about an industry you may not know much about.

No comments:

Post a Comment