Wednesday, September 2, 2009

An Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog.
My name is Brad and I’m obsessed with movies. When I’m not working at a place that shows them, I’m watching them or trying to write one. My home is decorated completely with movie stuff. One of the advantages of working at a cinema is I get some pretty cool stuff.

One other thing I love to do is talk about movies. I can spend hours talking to friends about movies and love it so much. I love to keep updated as much as I can with what’s going on in the movie world. I read Variety every day to get my confirmed movie news and visit Dark Horizons and Aint It Cool for all the rumours.

The purpose of this blog is to let the world know of my opinion. Many friends and family have said I should do this as I know quite a lot. While I do know quite a lot I don’t know everything. So in this blog I’m going to mostly write reviews on the films that I go see at the cinema. Now I don’t go see ‘everything’, there are simply not enough hours in the day and plus there are some films I’d prefer to avoid. For my international readers, I live in Australia so sometimes films do not get released here at the same time as the rest of the world so my reviews might not come out at the same time as your viewing.

As for my taste: I like to think that I have a wide ranging taste in movies. While I prefer comedies, I like other types of films as well. I will say that while my taste has matured over the years I can still go see something dumb and silly. I tend to go for darker stuff, my favourite type of comedies are the dark ones.

I’ve mentioned above that I’m also trying to write movies. I’ve written first drafts of two films, a treatment for a third, I’ve then got plans for another two (a book adaptation and an animated film). I love to write and hope to make a career out of it. I’ve had a short film of mine made which got entered into Tropfest 2009 but sadly did not make the finals. It did however mean I got my name into IMDB so I’m pretty proud of that. So if there are any producers out there reading this that need a writer please let contact me. Because of this I tend to analyse films more from the writing angle. I’ve done script writing courses so I know what to look for in a film’s writing that makes it good and bad. However in saying that I can appreciate the other elements of film making too. I’ve been able to work on a couple of film sets and while most people think it is all boring with the endless set ups and so forth I love watching how things all come together, I find it fascinating. This is another plea for work, if anyone reading this can give me work on a film set I’m willing to do ANYTHING! I’ve done work as a runner before and can send a resume to anyone who asks.

My favourite filmmakers tend to be writers but I do have some favourite directors and actors too. Some of my favourite writers are: Aaron Sorkin, Charlie Kaufman, Alan Ball, The Zucker Brothers, Joss Whedon, Richard Curtis, Mel Brooks and Monty Python. These are just a few of the ones I can think of right now. There are many more I love and will point them out in the reviews I write. My all time favourite director is Tim Burton. Others I admire are: David Zucker, Terry Gilliam, Henry Selick, Sam Mendes, Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, The Coen Brothers and Stephen Soderbergh. Again there are many others I like but can’t think of right now.

Now for my Top 10. This is a list of my Top 10 favourite films of all time. These are the ones I love so much that I can’t stop watching them. They’ve not changed much over the years and I hope they don’t put you off reading my blog.
1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
2. Monty Python & The Holy Grail
3. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
4. The Naked Gun
5. American Beauty
6. Romeo + Juliet
7. The Iron Giant
8. Shaun Of The Dead
9. War Of The Roses
10. Death Becomes Her

Well that’s it for the introduction, I hope I’ve not put you off. This blog will mostly be reviews but I will post comments on movie news, trailers and opinions about things going on the world of movies. I hope you like it and please leave comments so I know what you think. Feel free to disagree with me. While I prefer everyone to like what I do it’s nice to see the other side of things.Let the fun begin.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog,
    Will definately check regularly for your terrific movie reviews!

    ReplyDelete