Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

With the holiday season upon us, we get in undated with animated films for the kids. This is the latest from the powerhouse animated team of Dreamworks.
Regular readers will know that I am not particularly fond of Dreamworks Animation films. To me they lack the heart and soul that defines any other animated films. They feel like they make films as a factory and to make money and not to tell a great story. Hence why they make so many sequels, such as this one. While the first two 'Madagascar' films had some fun in them, I did not think they were terribly great films. Which is why I was surprised when I found myself enjoying this film more than I expected. The writers, Eric Darnell and Noah Baumbach have created a really good story to take our characters through. I think bringing in a skilled writer like Noah is what has made the film so good. He is a great writer and that certainly comes through in the film. The circus plot gives them a better story to work with. I liked the supporting characters more in this film too. They felt better developed than in previous efforts. This is particularly true of the film's villain. Having a more distinctive bad guy made it more enjoyable and you had a reason to root for the characters a lot more. I was also quite fond of King Julien and his subplot of falling in love with a bear. The animation was amazing as well with great use of the 3D experience.
Our core cast of Ben Stiller, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith and Chris Rock once again do a decent job in their vocal performances. However I did find Ben Stiller a bit irritating at times. Frances McDormand is not only a brilliant actress in live action films but she is now brilliant at vocal performances in animated films as well. She brings a great deal of delightful menace to her performance. Jessica Chastain is really sweet as Marty's love interest Gia. Bryan Cranston is excellent as well. Martin Short provides much of the film's humour too in a hilarious role.
Even if you're not a fan of the 'Madagascar' series, you might find yourself really enjoying this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment