Monday, July 23, 2012

Ice Age: Continental Drift

The 'Ice Age' franchise continues with this latest effort. Manny, Diego and Sid seem to be getting closer to the end of the Ice Age.
The 'Ice Age' movies are another one of those series which I have had a mixed reaction to. I thought the first film was brilliant and I love it. The second film was a huge disappointment and I don't think much of it. The third film was a bigger improvement and while not as great as the first film was still enjoyable. This film is much the same. I read that the film makers wanted to go back to the first film and create a story was like that with the 3 boys on their own. That was a good idea and the pirate plot is really good. I found it interesting that they are trying to marry off their characters with Diego now getting a girlfriend. The problem with having the 3 guys go off on their own adventure means Ellie and Peaches get left behind and so rather than leave them out the makers have given them a sub plot. Sadly it was a very poor one. Peaches is now a teenager so she has to go through that typical teen story of trying to fit in with cool kids. It was really boring. I was also a bit disappointed with Scrat's scenes. I liked his plot f using a map to find buried treasure but I did not find it very funny.
The central voice cast of Ray Romano, Denis Leary and John Leguizamo work really well together and so have a great rapor. The new cast is very good. Jennifer Lopez plays it nice and sweet. Nick Frost was very funny. Wanda Sykes plays a good elderly person. It was also nice to hear Rebel Wilson in there. The best one though is Peter Dinklage as the pirate captain. He was excellent and a real highlight in the film.
Enjoyable for fans of the series and followed these characters through all their films. New comers may not be all that impressed. It would be nice to finish the series here but I know they won't. Sid still needs a girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment