Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Seth Grahame-Smith has become a successful author by turning classic novels and stories into horror books. This is his first book to be adapted into a film.
I am not all that familiar with the story and history of Abraham Lincoln. I know the basic facts of how he was President during the American Civil War and abolished slavery. So I cannot speak to how accurate the film is to Lincoln's life. I am however a big fan of the film's director Tibor Bekmambetov. I love his two Russian films, 'Nightwatch' and 'Daywatch', as well as his American film 'Wanted'. He seemed the perfect choice to direct a film like this. However I was not entirely in love with it like I was with his previous films. This is largely because of the plot. Based on Tibor's past efforts I expected a more interesting story. But it is a very conventional and cliched story. Perhaps my lack of knowledge of the details of Lincoln's life meant I did not appreciate some of the ways the vampire story has been woven into the story of his life. This does do something which I am finding rather annoying with vampire stories these days which is working out a way of letting the vampires go out into the sunlight. Unlike 'Twilight' it seems legitimate but it still annoys me. The one thing that Tibor does well though is action scenes and there are some great ones here. My favourite being a fight scene that takes place during a horse stampede. I would be implausible but still real.
Benjamin Walker makes a very distinguished Lincoln. He is able to be dignified and still play the wild action hero antics too. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is also quite dignified in her role as Mary Todd. She does not get much action but still makes a nice love interest. Anthony Mackie does a good job as Lincoln's sidekick. Dominic Cooper does a decent job but does not have a very effective role. Rufus Sewell once again plays the bad guy but with no great flare. My favourite performance was by Martin Csokas. He does go a bit camp but really gets into the spirit and silliness of the situation. 
Like all of Tibor Bekmambetov's films there are lots of well staged action sequences. But for me the plot lacks and originality. Perhaps my lack of knowledge of Lincoln hindered my appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment