Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friends With Kids

Films lately seem to want to take the friendship between a man and a woman and complicate things. Either by adding sex or in the case of this film adding a baby.
Before seeing this film I had really low expectations. I thought the premise sounded like the worst idea for a film. A mentioned before I like romantic comedies that have a little bit of jeopardy. We know in the end that they are going to end up together but I feel you need to have at least a minor sense of thrill as to whether they are really going to end up together or not. I don't see the point of the film unless there is that even slightest of possibilities that the couple will end up together at the end. This film has absolutely no sense of jeopardy as far as the main relationship goes. Jason and Julie are in a relationship already but they just do not have sex. The only main hurdle seems to be Jason's idiotic predilection for huge breasts. That to me sounds like the dumbest idea ever. I'm not sure I could be friends with someone who was so superficial. The plot is very similar to that of the recent Australian film I saw 'Not Suitable For Children'. However in 'Not Suitable' they have a good reason for the couple agreeing to have a baby together. In 'Friends' it is the biological clock issue but I got no sense of why Julie has to go with Jason, except for the fact that he is convenient. At least in 'Suitable' Jonah goes through a few options before deciding to do it with his friend. Again I think a nice complication to the issue might have been if either Jason or Julie was gay. That to me would have been a better stumbling block to overcome. But then again that would have made it more an episode of 'Will & Grace'. The one good thing about Jennifer Westfeldt's script is the chemistry of the friends. I suppose that comes from the performances but these really feel like a group of friends and not a bunch of actors forced to work together.
I suppose this has a lot to do with the fact that they have worked on a film together before. The support cast are one of the high points of the film. Kristen Wiig, John Hamm, Chris O'Dowd and Maya Rudolph are really good in the film and quite funny. This can not be said of the leads. I found Adam Scott and Jennifer Westfeldt to be a rather bland couple. I did not feel anything terribly dynamic about them. Therefore you don't care about their plight as much. I did like Edward Burns as well. I would have preferred Julie to end up with his character.
I have possibly judged this film far too harshly. I think I have far too high an expectation for romantic comedies these days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment