Friday, June 1, 2012

Bel Ami

When I first heard that there was going to be a film made about Bel Ami I got very excited. There was a little bit of disappointment when I found out it was going to be based on the novel by Guy De Maupassant.
I sometimes like to read the book a film is based on before I go see it. It gives me the chance to read some classics I may not have looked at. I found the plot of this book to be interesting but not terribly great. What I found interesting is how the social mores of the time the story is set, are used to great effect by the lead character. Georges Duroy is able to manipulate society and the people around him to gain his fortune. It is what I liked about the film too. Georges is not a very nice guy and the way he treats the women around him is horrible. But that is what I liked. So many protagonists are meant to be liked and respected but not Georges. I realise that we should like them because we need to care about their story so it refreshing to see someone who you come to despise. I also liked the modern parallels you can make to some people in modern society who sleep their way to the top. I also liked how it ended.
I have the feeling that Robert Pattinson was chosen to be in this film for his good looks and name recognition and not his acting ability. The character of Georges needs to be charming but it is something that Robert does not seem to be able to pull of here. He is just brooding, which might work in the sense he needs to be nasty but not when he is trying to seduce woman. You wonder what they see in him. Uma Thurman is excellent as the woman who uses Georges much like he uses her. Kristen Scott Thomas has been playing domineering characters lately so it is nice to see her playing someone who is a bit more submissive. It was nice to see Colm Meaney again too. The best though is Christina Ricci. Her performance is nicely subtle and very sweet.
The unconventional story is what makes this a good film. Robert Pattinson is probably miscast but   it is still worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment