Monday, January 2, 2012

My Top 10 Films of 2011.

2011 was a good year for film for me. A few disappointments at the more expensive end of town. None of the big blockbusters were really very exciting. Except perhaps for 'X-Men: First Class'. It looks like 2012 will make up for that.
My biggest disappointment I think was Pixar's effort. I recently watched the film on blu-ray and was not very impressed by a second viewing. In my opinion I think they have finally made a dud film.
Aussie films were really impressive this year. Not only did we have the financially successful 'Red Dog' but there were some brilliant smaller films two. I've got two of them in my Top 10.
As usual I saw lots of brilliant films at the Sydney Film Festival. I only had one bad film at the festival with three of my Top 10 films being from the festival.
It was also the year that I got to see lots of classic films on the big screen. I'm so glad that cinemas have finally realised there is a market out there for this. Perhaps modern films no longer impress people.
2012 looks to be a very exciting year with 'The Dark Knight Rises' sure to be the major highlight. The footage I've seen already with the Imax trailer looks very impressive.
So here they are. Let me know what you think:

10. Moneyball.
For many this is a long boring film about baseball statistics. But for me it is a fascinating look at a man who is determined to make a difference to the game that he loves.

9. Crazy, Stupid, Love
The year's best romantic comedy. An excellent story with some brilliant moments. Very well written and featuring another brilliant performance by Ryan Gosling.

8. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
It is rare that we get such a clever and intelligent thriller which does not explain every little details to its audience. Some of the information is given subtly so you have to think and pay attention.

7. Snowtown
A powerful Aussie film about one of the countries darkest events. It comes across as dark and depressing but still powerful storytelling. And a brilliant central performance.

6. The Iron Lady
Another film with a brilliant central performance. While it is mostly Meryl Steeps amazing performance that carries the film, it is still a fascinating look at one of the most influential political figures in recent memory.

5. Trollhunter
By now we have all become pretty sick of these 'found footage' films. Then along comes something like this where they reinvigorate the genre with something fresh and original. And it took the Norwegians to do it.

4. Tree Of Life
This was also the year where we were reminded that films are not just entertainment but an art form as well. This is pure visual poetry. Highly recommended if you want to be challenged by what you see rather than have it all explained to you.

3. Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil
The years funniest film. Another invigoration for a tired old genre. While not a send-up or parody, just a different take on the 'teens being terrorised by hillbillies' genre. Very cleverly done.

2. Burning Man
An amazingly powerful film that is told in a a brilliant way. It is a story we have seen before but it is told in a unique way that makes the film amazing. Aussie too which is an added bonus. But intimidating for someone like my trying to make films as this is the level I have to achieve.

1. Rabbit Hole
I think that because I know someone who has gone through a similar experience that this film had such a huge impact on me. You would think a story like this would be a heavy dreary drama, but it is full of funny moments. It is also the best performance that Nicole Kidman has ever given.

There was not really one film which I thought was the worst. Just lots of disappointments. I think most of the time I knew they were not going to be great so I was not surprised when they turned out to be bad. dis-honourable mentions in this category include: 'The Way Back'; 'How Do You Know'; 'Your Highness'; 'Sleeping Beauty'; 'Bridesmaids'; 'Cars 2'; 'Larry Crowne'; 'The Change-Up'; 'Abduction'; 'What's Your Number?'.

Thank you to all my new followers who joined me throughout the year. I look forward to hearing all your comments on my reviews. Make sure you tell all your friends so I can build up some more followers. Never be afraid to be honest and tell me what you think.

Movie Moose.

2 comments:

  1. I never saw Cars 2, so should i give it a miss then? I didn't like Cars, so i wasn't too interested in seeing the second helping back in June.

    Great list. Unfortunately i haven't seen a lot of the films that make your top 10 of 2011, but i can agree (and disagree) with a few that you mention.

    Rabbit Hole was incredible. I think it was over looked by many as the audience weren't expecting it to be so good. But i am thrilled it made your number 1 spot. Good choice.

    I didn't realise you didn't like Bridesmaids! I thought it was hilarious. Really made me laugh and i felt for the main character as well as found her painfully pathetic. Although it may have been a tad too long (but that's what Apatow does best) i thought it was by far a stand out of the year.

    2012 will be a massive year. I am expecting many disappointments however. Hopefully i am proven wrong. Looking forward to reading more of your reviews

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my list of the Top 10 Best Movies of all 85 movies I saw in cinema in 2011:

    1. Norwegian Wood
    2. Red Dog
    3. Melancholia
    4. The King's Speech
    5. 13 Assassins
    6. Senna
    7. Blue Valentine
    8. Black Swan
    9. Midnight in Paris
    10. Burning Man

    Honorable mentions: The Tree of Life, We Need to Talk about Kevin, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Ides of March, and Oranges and Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete