Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy Feet Two

In 2006, director George Miller made a film which made penguins even more popular. He returns with a follow up story.
What I find most interesting is that George Miller directed what is widely regarded as one of the best sequels ever made, 'Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior'. This film many consider to be even better than the original. However lately he has made two sequels which are two of the worst films of all time. While this film is not as horrible as the abomination that is 'Babe: Pig In The City' it is still really bad. There are times when I am opposed to sequels. I think that there are some films, like 'Babe' for example, that did not need to have a sequel made. However if the makers can come up with a good story then it can be good. 'Happy Feet' I did not think needed a sequel to be made but it may have worked if a decent story was made. Having the penguins trapped by ice burgs was not a good story to me. While I understand in some ways why it was used because it let dancing save the day, but I don't think it was told in a really fun way. There was however one part of the film which angered me more. There is a scene where Mumble and his son Eric encounter an elephant seal and his family. I thought this was one of the most badly written scenes I've seen in a while. It almost made me want to walk out of the film. It may not be the scene its self that is bad just the motivation of the elephant seal. He is unecessarily mean and nasty which I did not see the point of. This nasty streak is then repeated at the end of the film which upset me more. Included is a subplot involving two krill which was completely unnecessary. I think George was trying to copy the 'Ice Age' films and include a fun side story like they do with Scrat. George however forgot to make his characters interesting and/or fun. Even the musical numbers are nothing special. None of the songs I found to be as good as the first film. The film however is not all bad. The animation is beautiful and the attention to detail is awesome. The 3D helped to make it look even better.
The cast make a decent job with their vocal work. Elijah Wood still has his sweet and innocent tone which makes you fall in love with Mumble. Pink makes a good replacement as Gloria. Robin Williams is his typical manic self. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon do good vocal work with boring characters. The only one that helps make the film bearable is Hank Azaria. He is quite funny and certainly makes his character more interesting.
George Miller has done it again. He has taken a wonderful film and made an incredibly bad sequel. Someone needs to stop this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment