Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Muppets

It's time to play the music. It's time to light the lights. It's time to meet the Muppets on The Muppet Show tonight. It's time to put on make-up. It's time to dress up right. It's time to get things started.
I am of the generation that grew up watching Muppets. Be they on 'The Muppet Show' and on 'Sesame Street'. I firmly believe that my constant watching of 'Sesame Street' formed my education and helped me to learn more at an early age. I also believe that 'The Muppet Show' formed part of my education in comedy. Growing up I was always attracted to children shows that had sophisticated senses of humour. Ones that while on the outside seemed to be aimed at children had a clever and witty undercurrent that appealed to adults as well. 'The Muppet Show' was one such example.
It is always a gamble when something beloved from your childhood makes a return. Will it ever be as good as you remember it? I am pleased to say that Jason Segel and his co-writer Nicholas Stoller are an excellent choice to bring these beloved characters back to life. Jason and Nicholas obviously care about the Muppets and, I feel, have created a film that is true to the characters and something that all fans will love. It is also a film that I'm sure will bring some new fans as well. The script is very clever and witty with an excellent plot. The greatest thing though is the wonderful self referential nature that it has. The way characters know they are in a movie and break the fourth wall. The plot is the ultimate reference with it being about the return of the Muppets to prominence.
There are also the brilliant musical numbers which punctuate the film so nicely. They also bring back some classic Muppet songs too. 'Rainbow Connection' is one of my all time favourite songs. It never fails to being a tear to my eye when ever I hear it. Which is very much the case here when the whole Muppet cast sing it. Part of the reason I get so emotional over the song is Jim Henson. When he died the song was played quite a lot. He is one of the few famous people whose death has made me cry. So hearing the song is a constant reminder of a genius who was taken before his time. I did like how his spirit is in the film in the form of banners that line the street where The Muppet theatre is set.
Kermit The Frog is one of those characters that you can't help but like. He is so charming and delightful and sweet with a touch of innocence. As mentioned above his rendition of 'Rainbow Connection' is a constant reminder of his beloved creator and Kermit is his crowning achievement. Miss Piggy is her old diva self but also shows how sweet she can be, not only to the love of her life but to her friends as well. I loved the subplot that they give Animal here. It was one of the film's best elements. The rest of the Muppet cast are their usual wonderful selves. Jason Segal leads a delightful human cast. It was nice that he did not try to hog the limelight and let the Muppets have centre stage. Amy Adams is so sweet as his girlfriend in the movie. Chris Cooper, while once again playing a bad guy, does it so well that you don't mind. Who knew he could sing and dance too. Being a Muppet movie there are lots of celebrity cameos. My favourites were David Grohl and Jim Parsons, whose appearance got the biggest reaction in the screening I saw.
Fans of the Muppets should be happy with their return. If you don't know who what a Muppet is then you need to get yourself to a cinema as soon as you can and be charmed by some of the greatest characters ever created.

No comments:

Post a Comment