Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1.

Following in the footsteps of the Harry Potter series, the producers of the Twilight saga have decided to split the final film into two parts..
Regular readers will know that I'm not a fan of this series. Stephenie Meyer has watered down vampires so much that she has taken all the fun out of them. Making me wonder why she used them to tell her story. Vampires need to be vicious and blood thirsty.
I'm not entirely sure why Bill Condon took on the duty of directing these films. I think the money might have been a factor. As previous directors have shown there is very little for them to do to make a unique film. When you look at each film I don't think you would something distinctive to say that director made that film. There is only one moment in this film in a flashback that made me think this film was directed by Bill Condon.
So far these films have been very ordinary, bordering on boring. The fleshing out of the final book is very noticeable in the first third of the film with the wedding and honeymoon. This sequence could have been cut significantly. I know it is there to make fans happy because they all love to see Bella and Edward in love. Even when the main story of Bella's pregnancy kicks in there is very little thrills. The films need to get a PG-13 rating in the USA and so the film's makers cannot have anything that might get it an R rating. As a result they have had to take all the fun out of the story. There was potential there to make things a bit more interesting but they have decided to make it boring instead. They don't even need to have more blood. But there are film making techniques that Bill and his team could have used to add more thrills. The other part of the problem for me is Bella's baby. I know that a human having a vampire baby is a bad thing, but I got no sense of a threat that this baby could be. The soothsayer is even silenced because she cannot see the babies future. Maybe if we had some foretelling of what this baby means then we might feel it is a bigger threat. I also think that Bella's father could have been a bigger threat. His daughter is sick and being a cop I would have thought that he could have done a better job of trying to track her down. Him turning up at the house would have been an interesting plot twist.
The acting has not really improved over the series. Robert, Kristen and Taylor are pretty much the same. It was however nice to see Robert smile for once. The rest of the cast are nothing special and do the best they can with the weak material.
I realise that my opinion does not matter when it comes to this film. By now you know either love it or hate it and you know what you in for.

No comments:

Post a Comment