Friday, November 18, 2011

I Don't Know How She Does It

For many years now women have had to contend with one of life's biggest balancing acts. Juggling work and family. This film explores the balance that women try to contend with.
I had my doubts going into this film about whether a film like this could pull off what it was trying to say. To me a person or family like the one portrayed complaining about not having enough hours in the day to do stuff just seems ridiculous. Especially when there are millions of families with little or no money trying to do the same thing and for less pay. It means we have less sympathy for our lead character because their struggle does not seem as worthy as someone you might meet in real life. What makes it more pretentious is that they want average people to see this film.
Despite my initial misgivings I did end up enjoying the film a lot more than I expected. Kate's struggle to balance her work and home life does feel legitimate. She is rich enough to be able to employ a nanny to help look after her children. But she also loves her job so much which is why she still works. The main problem I had though was that Kate tries to do everything herself. I'm not sure why she doesn't get her husband, Richard, to do some of the work for her. While he seems just as busy as she does, I'm not sure why he does not volunteer to help her out. I did like the unique approach the film makes in telling the story by making it like a documentary. Kate breaks the fourth wall and talks to the audience and supporting characters talk to the audience in interview situations. Writer Aline Brosh McKenna has adapted the book in a different way to conventional storytelling. It was a nice touch that made the storytelling feel different. Sarah Jessica Parker can be a bit hit and miss with me. I'm not a fan of 'Sex And The City' so lately she has not done anything exciting for me. To me she used to do more daring roles but now seems content to placate to her fan based and not breakout. That is the case here. She is a very good comedic actress and is good here but does not do anything terribly special. Pierce Brosnan does a serviceable job as the man Kate works closely with. Greg Kinnear does very little except fight with Sarah a lot and complain that she's never around. I did like Olivia Munn as Kate's assistant. She is very funny even if her character's plot is a bit obvious.
This might be more relate able and more enjoyable for women who have to struggle each day with the kind of situation that's depicted in the film. For everyone else there is some mild amusement to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment