Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I remember doing The Time Warp. Drinking those moments when the blackness would hit me and the void would be calling. Let's do The Time Warp again.
To celebrate Halloween Event cinemas have brought back this classic musical. I attended a screening which had the full interactive experience with actors reenacting the film and comments being shouted out during the film. It is something I've been wanting to experience for a while now and glad I finally got to see it.
My history with 'Rocky Horror' is a little weird. I remember growing up and seeing the video at the video shop and always being fascinated by it. I did now know what it was about or anything. I may have heard the song 'The Time Warp' but that was about it. I even thought it was an actual horror film. In my early teens (I think) I stayed up one night to watch the film on TV. I got the biggest shock of my life. While the film was not sexually explicit, all the frank sex talk was a real surprise to me. But the biggest surprise was the names of the two lead characters. My name is Brad and my mother's name is Janet. So that was always a little weird to me. I also got to see the stage show about 20 years ago which was amazing. I have since become a real fan of the show and the music.
To say this film is strange is putting it mildly. The basic plot is similar to that of a horror film and it is a satire on the horror conventions. But the film is far from conventional. So many strange things happen that your never sure what is going on. The ending is the strangest part. Characters come and go without any reason and all the characters are pretty weird. Frank-N-Furter and his gang all come from another planet which is weird too. I never understood why they come from another planet. There are many clever references to other sci-fi and horror films which are woven into the craziness. I think you have to be able to get into the craziness of it all and have a very open mind.
The live interactive experience is excellent. People act out the movie underneath the screen while others shout comments throughout to various lines in the movie. The audience shout at certain times too and throw things. I've been meaning to go to one of these screenings for a while and I'm glad I got to experience it. The comments they make are very funny. You would think the recreation is distracting but I didn't think it was.
When you think of 'Rocky Horror' I think Tim Curry's name is the first one you think of. He has become the iconic Frank that all others must live up to. Everyone copies his performance and accent when they play the role. This is one of Susan Sarandon's first roles and she shows her excellence as an actress early on. I'm not sure why she has not done a musical since. Barry Bostwick is also perfect as the straight laced Brad. Creator of 'Rocky Horror' Richard O'Brien makes a perfect Riff Raff and is wonderfully assisted by Patricia Quinn as Magenta.
One of the greatest musicals ever made. I love the weird craziness of the story and especially the great songs. Make sure you are open minded because this is not a film for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment