Thursday, July 29, 2010

Knight And Day


It is amusing how Hollywood will release two films at the same time with very similar plots. It has taken them a few years to finally copy 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' and now we get two copies.

Director James Mangold has mostly been making dramas and thrillers lately, and now is dipping his toe into two new genres: comedy and action. I have to say he does quite a good job, especially in the action department. The story I will admit is a bit silly and contrived. There is not much reason given for why Roy need June to for fill his mission, other than that he is in love with her. While that is a pretty good reason I just don't get that feeling from Roy's interactions with June. Having said that though I really enjoyed the film. I was able to get swept along with the action and story and just relax and have fun with it. It is not terribly sophisticated or clever but is a bit of light fun.

I have not been much of a fan of Tom Cruise. For me he is very over rated and 'A Few Good Men' is the only film of his that I've liked. However since his downfall after jumping on a couch I seem to like him more. Part of my problem with him has been his reluctance to do a comedy. I thank Ben Stiller for bringing Tom out of his shell as it seems he is choosing to do more comedies. He is quite funny funny here in this film and seems to be sending up his 'M:I' role. Cameron Diaz is no stranger to comedy and I was surprised she would do a role like this. Her character is more of a damsel in distress type and Tom's character is continually drugging her which I found quite weird. She does gain strength at the end of the film but there needed to be more of it from the start.

As long as you go in with low expectations and just let your mind go, I think you can have a bit of fun with this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment