Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Farewell


This film depicts a series of events that helped bring down one of the best ideas in film making - the Cold War. Thankfully, though, we have the Middle East now.

I'm a big fan of films with a political theme. I had fairly high expectations for this film but sadly they were not quite met. While maybe not as wonderful as I had hoped it is still a good film. Part of the problem is the pacing. In the trailer we are led to believe that the film is a relatively fast paced thriller, however in reality it is slower and more of a character study. The film not only explores the events but the men involved and why they are doing what they are doing, especially Sergei Gregoriev. He is risking a great deal to reveal the information but has a noble cause to do it. He is though a deeply flawed character as well. His 'partner in crime', Pierre Froment, is risking a lot too but the threat does not seem as great. The other problem I had with the film is time frame. The story is set in 1981 and is supposed to have led to the end of the Cold War but that did not happen until 1989. I would have liked a bit more information on what happened in those intervening years.

I am not familiar with the cast of this film but they are all excellent. Emir Kusturica is very good as the Russian agent. He gives a multi-layer performance as a very flawed family man who wants to do good but is also doing some unsavoury things. When I saw Guillaume Canet's name in the credits I thought the name looked familiar but I did not recognise the face. I think the beard put me off. Looking up IMDB I saw he has been in a few French films I've seen over the past few years. He is good here as the 'every man' caught up in a scandal. I would have liked a bit more background information about his character, the job he does and how he got involved in French intelligence.

A very good political thriller that while not as fast paced as you may expect is still interesting for the events it depicts.

No comments:

Post a Comment