Friday, July 9, 2010

I Am Love


Every so often I like to go to other countries through the cinema. This time I'm travelling to Italy and spending time with the Recchi family.

This is another film for me that confused me with the time it is set. Right from the start with the cinematography and opening credits font you think it is set in the 1960's. I'm not complaining just commenting on the style director Luca Guadagino has chosen to open his film. The film could have been set in the 60's and not been any worse off. The story is fairly simple with a 'housewife' (I use that term loosely as being a rich woman with servants she is hardly the typical definition of a housewife) loosing interest in her domestic life and finding fun in the arms of another man. The plot is very slow moving and most of the action takes a while to happen. But when a film looks this good you don't mind. I really loved the cinematography and camera work. The way the camera moves through scenes and picks up certain things. It is like it is dancing thorough the room and playing with the actors as it moves around. The fact that these are rich people with nice clothes and houses helps as well to add to the beauty of the film. One other aspect I was really impressed with was the score. There were a couple of scenes that really impressed me with the music used and how they accentuated the action. The story too while slow paced is still very interesting. We always get a perverse thrill from seeing rich people fall from grace. The other strong feature of the film is the food. There is an almost erotic quality to it that makes the characters look like they are making love rather than eating. Do not see this film on an empty stomach.

I really admire actress Tilda Swinton. She is not afraid to play a diverse range of characters and in many different countries. Here she has the grace and elegance to play a wife who is loosing interest in her life. Normally she plays very cold-hearted woman but for once she lets her warmth show. Her co-stars are very impressive to as I don't think I've seen them before. Edoardo Gabbriellini is excellent as Tilda's love interest. He does not say or do much but has a great intensity that makes him very sexy.

A film that is more for the discerning film goer. A very beautiful film that may have a slow moving plot but is still rich with texture and great food.

No comments:

Post a Comment