Monday, May 17, 2010

When In Rome


Every so often a film comes along that you hear so many terrible reviews about that you kind of get a bit curious as to how bad it is. I think it is just me though.

This film has lived up to my expectations. It is really terrible. One of the wort written films I've seen in a long time. I'm all for light and fluffy romantic comedies with a fantasy element but this one just can't make you believe in it. For a romantic comedy there is no romance either. Love is mentioned quite a lot but I did not feel any of it with any of the characters. If anything this film will turn you off romance.

I'd love to know what original drafts for this film were like. There is quite a decent cast here who I think must have been tricked into being in the film if the final result is anything to go by. I've long been a fan of Kristen Bell, ever since she came into the spotlight in the brilliant TV series 'Veronica Mars'. Here she is trying to do her best with an awful script and not succeeding. Josh Duhamel has made a decent living with terrible stuff like this so he is decent. Will Arnet, Jon Heder, Dax Shepard and Danny DeVito as the guys pursuing Kristen's character are quite bad but that I think is how they're meant to be. Angelica Houston looks like she is getting paid heaps to look icy and deliver really bad dialogue.

There are movies that you take your partner to in order to get in a romantic mood. This film is the opposite. If you want your partner to leave you and quite possibly beat you up, then go see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment