Monday, May 17, 2010

I Love You Too


Australia does not make very many romantic comedies, which is a shame as it is one of my favourite genres. I've written one myself so hopefully if this film is successful enough I can get mine made.

This film is about a guy who has been going out with a girl for 3 years. One night she has had enough and breaks up with him. He naturally spends the rest of the film trying to get her back. While I can understand and appreciate there are some guys out there who are emotionally stunted and have trouble opening up about their feelings. I had trouble believing anyone would wait 3 years for it to happen. I asked some friends and they agree. I'm not too sure which is worse, the fact that Jim did not realise he had not said 'I love you' or the fact that his girlfriend, Alic waited so long before pointing it out that he has not said it. We do find out why he can't say it but it still bothered me a bit. Not too much though as I did quite enjoy the film. I'm not that big a fan of comedian Peter Hellier. While I find him mostly funny he is not someone who I actively seek out to see. He does a really good job with writing this script. Surprisingly though it is not as funny as you might expect and that's a good thing. I was really surprised by the number of nice, touching and dramatic moments in the films. Many of the jokes and funny lines fall flat, however there are a few funny moments that come from everyday type things the characters do. The publicity for the film portrays it more as a Judd-Apatow-like 'bromance' but I think that is deceptive. While Jim and his friend Blake come across as having a 'bromance' relationship it is not made a big deal of in the film.

Brendan Cowell is becoming a popular actor in Australia at the moment with two films in cinemas right now. He is known more for his dramatic roles so this is kind of his first comedy. Brendan does a very good job and does well with his character but it is not the type of role that expands his comedy skills. I did not know that Yvonne Strahovski was an established actress before this film. She is very good as the love interest but does not have an awful lot to do. Peter Hellier naturally has given himself most of the funny stuff in the film and does an excellent job with it. I can see him playing the best friend role in a lot more films. Peter Dinklage is excellent as always. He is a great dramatic actor and has some wonderful moments in the film. A big deal has been made of Megan Gale in the film but I did not think she was all that great. In the big scene she is in, Peter Dinklage does most of the work and comes off better.

A good Australian comedy that we do not see much of these days. While not the greatest I still think it is well worth checking out and supporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment