Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Date Night


Steve Carell and Tina Fey are two of the best comedians working today. Steve has been in films for a few years now but Tina is starting to make a mark after gaining popularity with an impression and a brilliant TV series.

Shawn Levy is a director that has not really impressed me so far. I think the comedies he has made were good but nothing spectacular. I was however very impressed with this film. With the cast you have you would expect a hilarious comedy but I did not get as many laughs as I was expecting. But that did not worry me. I was really impressed with the story and plot. I suppose that is more to do with the writer Josh Klausner. Looking up his writing credits he has been part of the team behind a couple of 'Shrek' movies which is not a terribly impressive thing considering the films but here he has crafted a believable plot and characters that you can relate to. While most of the situations are wild and crazy they come as part of a story that you believe could really happen. You think that Phil and Claire Foster are a real couple with the same problems real couples have. Generally in films the leads are a little too good to be true but here they feel like ordinary people. As I said it may not be as hilarious as you might expect but you don't mind that.

Steve Carell is one of the funniest actors working today. But what I love most about him is that the is a very versatile actor and can do drama as well. Like most of the world I did not discover Tina Fey until she did '30 Rock', one of the best TV shows currently running. Together they make one of the best film couples. They have an excellent chemistry and make you really believe they are a married couple. The domestic situations they have at the start of the film are wonderfully played. They can also be very funny when needs be as well. There are also some great cameo appearances in the film as well.

While not as hilariously funny as you might expect, this is still an excellent comedy with a story and characters you can relate to. An excellent date movie for married couples having their own date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment