Wednesday, February 17, 2010

NT Live: Nation


This blog will take a little explaining. Many may know that cinemas have been screening live Operas that have been filmed. Some are also playing plays as well, which is what I saw. This production was filmed at the National Theatre in London.

Terry Pratchett is an English author who has written a series of fantasy novels known as The Discworld Series. I am a huge fan of these novels that are kind of like a satire of the fantasy genre. A couple of years ago Terry wrote a book that was not part of that series called 'Nation'. Set in an alternate earth it is about a boy from an island that is sent away to perform a rite-of-passage ritual. However when he returns home he finds everyone has been wiped out by a tsunami. Also washed up on the island is a young girl who is the only remaining survivor of an English ship. The book was quite serious and not as funny as the Discworld books. I did not enjoy it as much as his other books. That did not stop me though from seeing the book turned into a play.

The play is excellent. While watching it on a cinema screen was a little different to seeing it live, I still marvelled at the wonderful way the creators of the play were able to bring the novel to life. I loved the way they used tricks to realise some of the trickier aspects of the book. It is a visually wonderful and may have been better live. I enjoyed the play much more than I did the book. I'm not sure whether seeing things gave me a better understanding than having to imagine it myself. As mentioned it is more serious, very philosophical and a bit religious. While I normally don't mind that sort of thing it was just so different to what I expected from Terry that it took me quite by surprise. The play was able to bring more of the humour out as well. this is especially true of a parrot character in the film which is played by an actor.

I may not have gotten the chance to see this play live. I've not heard of any plans to bring the play to Australia. Although Terry has a large following here so it would make sense to do so. Despite that I wanted to take the opportunity to see the play. I'm really glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment