Monday, February 8, 2010

Daybreakers


In 2003, the Aussie Spierig Brothers wrote and directed the zombie film 'Undead'. Now they move onto the much bigger budget Hollywood films. Let's hope they can handle it.

Something that I've always wondered is if a bad guy in a movie actually got what they wanted and they came to rule the world. There have been times when I've wanted to write a screenplay based on that idea. Well The Spierig Brothers have done it. This is one of the more intriguing premises in not just a horror film but any film. What if vampires actually ruled the world and took over? When vampires go around biting humans do they actually think things through? The film while very good, did not reach the greatness I was hoping for. That's not to say I did not enjoy it because I did. The premise as I said was excellent but maybe not explored as much as I hoped. I did like how the guys did not shy away from the gore either. There is plenty of blood and guts to gross even the hardened mind.

Ethan Hawke is a very good actor but has never been in anything to make me rave about him. Here he is very good as the vampire who teams up with the humans but does nothing to make himself dazzle. Aussie actress Claudia Karven is great and it is nice to see her get in a Hollywood film. Sam Neill proves once again how evil he can be. Willem Dafoe does the best as I think he gets the best lines and role in the film. He seems to be having the most fun.

For those who feel that vampire films have gotten a bit too lovey-dovey they should check this out. An excellent premise with very little by way of romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment