Friday, July 12, 2013

You're Next

The Sydney Film Festival is not all about arty films. They also have some great horror films on their program.
I need to explain the circumstances of how I came to see this film. I had bought a ticket to see a Dutch film called 'It's All So Quiet'. But when I got to the cinema we were told that there was a technical problem and they could no longer screen the film. I had a look through the program and found 'You're Next' screening that day and thought I would swap my ticket over for it. It looked like it might be a decent horror film.
At the Sydney Film Festival you get a certain type of audience who are mostly film buffs. So they know how to behave when going to the cinema. Someone did not tell that to the audience of this film. The film stars Aussie actress Sharni Vinson who starred in the TV series 'Home & Away'. In front of me in the cinema it looked to be a group of her friends who were very excited to see their friend in a film. However they did not see all that much of the film because they spent the whole movie texting on their phone and posting on Facebook. From what I could see it looked like they were chatting to Sharni, giving her a running commentary of their reaction to the film. Luckily the film was terrible, otherwise I would have said something. There have been many films about people in an isolated area who are being attacked by masked villains. I'm not really much of a fan of the genre as I do not find them very scary. That is very much the case with this film, and not because of the audience. Aside from Erin (Sharni's character) this would have to be one of the dumbest group of people in a film. They behave and react to the situation in the dumbest ways. You just don't care about these people and the fact that they are being attacked. I suppose there is a certain thrill in seeing stupid people being killed but I did not care about that here. Then there is the twist where the intruders are revealed when it just gets even dumber. Even the reason for using the slogan You're Next has no reason for being used.
Considering that she is the only character with a good profile, Sharni Vinson is quite good in the film. She also gets to keep her Aussie accent which was refreshing. The rest of the cast are pretty ordinary as they are saddled with boring clichéd characters. 
I'm not sure of the rowdy audience helped or hindered my enjoyment of the film. I don't think they had too much of an effect as the film was terrible anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment