Tuesday, July 30, 2013

World War Z

It seems horror films go in phases. At the moment zombies are the biggest thing having replaced vampires.
For a book that is written by the son of one of my heroes, you'd think I would have read 'World War Z'. It is also the type of book I'd read just before then film comes out. However once news got out of what the film was going to be I changed my mind. I knew that if I read the book it would ruin my perception of the film because they are so vastly different. It has happened before.
The film though is quite an exciting thrill ride. It wastes no time in setting things up and get right into the action. Then does not let up until it finishes. That makes it thrilling as you watch it but after once you think more about the film then that's when things fall apart. As I said you get straight into the action right away so there is very little room for any characterization. We know very little about our hero Gerry except that he is some disaster expert with a family. But maybe that is what the film makers were going for. Just an entertaining thrill ride that explains how the world would react to a major disaster. The makers have also toned down the zombie aspect of the story. The outbreak could be any kind of disease, not just the fact that people turn into zombies.
I find it very intriguing that Brad Pitt would star in this film. I would not be surprised if he had to do it in order to get the movie made. But, as mentioned above, there is nothing to the character he is playing. I would have expected him to play a character a bit more complex and interesting. It is the type of role that could have been played by any actor and not affected the film in any way. Being Brad Pitt does not bring anything special to the role. The rest of the cast just blend into the background and leave no lasting impression.
As long as you do not think too much about it afterwards then you should get a great deal of fun out of this film as your watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment