Monday, May 6, 2013

The Croods

I do not think that many people appreciate the times we live in. Cavemen certainly had a tough time, as this film demonstrates.
They will no doubt deny it but I've always felt that DreamWorks animation have either unknowingly or knowingly made films similar to others that are either in development or been released. You only need to look at their very first film 'Antz'. When I first saw the trailer for this film I thought the story looked almost identical to 'Ice Age 3: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs', but with the animals being played by humans. I know I am being very picky but I think I hold some of these animated studios up to a higher standard than some others. Despite the level of familiarity I did quite enjoy this film. One thing that DreamWorks films have going for them is their use of 3D. Because their CEO Jeffery Katzenberg is a big proponent of the format their films are usually filled with scenes that are made for that format. Which is why I enjoyed this film. It is full of great action sequences that look incredible in 3D. The film is well worth seeing just for that aspect. The plot is the typical story of a father's over protection taken to extremes. This gives the film much of its humour and in that respect the film is quite funny. The characters are also well made too which makes it an enjoyable experience.
Another thing DreamWorks likes to do is to cast famous names. Sometimes this can be of a detriment to the film. What I liked about this film is that the animators have made the characters resemble the actor who provides their voice in some small way. Emma Stone is a brilliant actress in live action films and proves here she is also brilliant at vocal work. She can convey the drama and comedy of each situation so well. This would have to be one of the best things that Nicolas Cage has done in a long time. He makes an excellent paranoid father. Ryan Reynolds is also very good as the families new recruit and guide. I was a little disappointed that Catherine Keener does not get much to do in the film but she is still a very good mother. Clark Duke provides much of then film more funnier moments. The legendary Cloris Leachman does a fine job in a clichéd grandmother role.
I went in with very low expectations and ended up enjoying the film more than I thought. Well worth seeing in 3D if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment