Monday, February 11, 2013

The Guilt Trip

Barbara Streisand has been quiet of late as far as films go. Except for the occasional appearance as a Focker, she has not had a leading role.
The relationship a man has with his mother is one that is as old as time. Mothers are usually portrayed as being very smothering and overbearing. It is the natural mothering instinct to protect one's young. That theme has been explored many times in films over the years. That is why you need to do something fairly unique to make an impact. 'The Guilt Trip' does not bring anything new to the overbearing-mother theme. Most of the jokes and situations you can see coming from a mile away. It is however a pleasant enough experience. The characters do come to grow on you as you watch the film. I must admit that I could relate to the film in the sense that I'm sure if I went on a road trip with my mum it would happen much the same way.
A lot of the film's charm does come from the two leads. While it would have been nice to see Barbara Streisand do a less clichéd comedy, it is still nice to see her back on the big screen. I kind of felt sorry for Seth Rogan as I watched this film. He continually has a pained expression on his face as a grimaces every time Barbara says something embarrassing. It happens so often in this film that I was worried he'd stay that way. Otherwise he gives a nice performance as the put-upon son.
You've seen a film like this a million times before. While it is mildly entertaining it does not break much new ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment