Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pina


German choreographer Pina Bausch died two years ago just as director Wim Wenders was about to make this film about her work. So this film became a tribute to this great artist.
I've just become introduced to the world of dance through a friend of mine. While I love to see dance performances I prefer mainstream style stuff that you see in musicals. Performances that are more interpretive or impressionistic I've not been enjoyed as much. I feel a bit left out as I know the dance is supposed to be telling a story or have a message and I don't feel smart enough to know what they are trying to say. Despite that I really enjoyed the film. The performances are amazing. While I did not understand necessarily what the dances mean I thought the way the dancers moved was so beautiful. Not all the performances are great as this is kind of a 'best of Pina' showcase, but I did admire them all.This is another film this year that is a great artistic achievement as well as being entertaining. It was filmed in 3D and is quite possibly the best ever use of the 3D technique. It helps you think the performances are real and they are in the cinema performing the dances live. The best thing that Wim has done though is the dancers sometimes perform in outdoor places not just on stages. He is fond of placing them at road intersections which I did not quite understand.
As my interest in dance grows I am glad I got to see this film. Pina sounds like a true artist who created some great work which is on display in this film. If you love dance then you must see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment