Thursday, September 22, 2011

One Day


On St. Swithin's day, July 15th, each year we see the relationship of two people develop over about 20 years.
Normally I am a romantic softy and can really get into a romantic film. However I could not get into this one. The premise of only seeing one day each year in this relationship does not come across as all that interesting. Despite this 'gimmick' there is nothing special about the film. It did not come across as anything special because the relationship is viewed in this way. I'm not sure if it is better presented in the book but on film it does not quite work. The film '(500) Days Of Summer' had a similar premise and was able to make it work better. It also helps when you have interesting characters in the central relationship. While I did like Emma I found Dexter to be very unlikeable. I do not know what Emma sees in him that makes her fall in love with him.
Anne Hathaway is once of the best actresses working today. Regardless of the film she gives and excellent performance. This film is the same. Her portrayal of Emma is excellent even in many subtle ways. The same cannot be said for Jim Sturgess. I've come to dislike this actor as he is always very ordinary in his performances. He does not bring anything special. Of the support characters I was very impresses with Rafe Spall. I found him to be very funny and nicely nerdy and vulnerable.
As someone who is normally very forgiving of romantic films and am willing to overlook many of the problems they have, I was not very impressed with this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment