Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Glee The 3D Concert Movie


'Glee' has become a hugely successful TV and music recording phenomenon. The cast recently did a concert tour and some of it was filmed in 3D and made into this film.
In the interests of full disclosure I need to tell you that I am a huge fan of the TV series 'Glee'. I think it is so brilliant. For me it is everything 'High School Musical' should have been. I found 'HSM' to be too sweet and G-rated that I was turned off. I understand that it is aimed at a young audience so they need to be very clean. However 'Glee' is everything that show isn't. They are not afraid to cover issues such as sexuality and death. So it means that I loved this film. Up until now there has not been a concert movie which I've enjoyed because I've not been a big fan of the performers. As I've mentioned in previous reviews, my musical tastes are varied and I generally like a wide variety of songs and like songs more so than artists. Which is probably why I like 'Glee' so much. They sing a variety of songs from a wide range of styles and genres that they play to many varied tastes. My favourite songs have always been those where the character is using the song to show their emotions. While the songs they sing as a performance on stage are good I feel those which are conveying emotions are better. My favourite character is Artie and his flash mob song 'Safety Dance' is my favourite song from the series. I'm also a fan of Kurt and his rendition of 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'. Both of these are feature in the film which was excellent. The other great thing about the film is the fan testimonials they have interspersed between the songs. I admit they are naturally glowing reviews of the TV series and how the show has helped various people with issues in their lives. But they are still very interesting to see the huge range of fans that 'Glee' gets. The one brilliant moment though is a young boy who is a fan of The Warblers. His scenes are worth the price of admission alone. I admire Gweneth Paltrow for making a cameo appearance in the film. Her song is excellent and proves she is not the diva she is sometimes made out to be. My only disappointment with the film is the exclusion of Sue Sylvester. She was seen in the trailer for the film but her scenes seem to have been deleted. Maybe they are saving them for the DVD/Bu-ray release.
Probably a film that is only going to appeal to fans of the TV series. I'd be interested to find out what a non-fan thinks. It is however a pure joy for all Gleeks, especially those like us in Australia who missed out on seeing the concert live.

No comments:

Post a Comment