Monday, August 15, 2011

Friends With Benefits


It is very common in Hollywood for an idea to be thought of at the same time by several different people. This year we've already had one film about friends having a sexual relationship and now we get another.
The whole idea of 'friends' having sex, to me, is a dangerous situation. As proven by this film and 'No Strings Attached' you invariably have one of the people in the situation feel an emotional connection about the sex when the other person doesn't. I know that there are people who can emotionally distance themselves from sex, that it is just sex. Or as described in this film, just like playing tennis. Despite the fact that you are 'just having sex' I think that if you are friends as well then I do not see the difference of it being a proper loving relationship. Compared to 'No Strings Attached', the characters in 'Friends With Benefits' are in a different emotional state. But as always happens in a romantic comedy they fall in love so they become more than just friends. So while you know exactly where the film is going, you know the couple will get together. The problem with film though is that it's a visual medium and so the characters have to visually show their emotional state or maybe use voice over to know what they are thinking. To me from how these characters behaved, how much time they seemed to spend together and the fact they are having sex, it looked like they were dating and in a relationship. Although Jamie (Mila Kunis) does date a guy for a while, it is the only thing that would make you think they are not in a relationship. Despite these few minor problems I really liked the film. I found it far better than 'No Strings Attached'. While there is not all that much action, excluding the sex, the film is mostly dialogue driven and it is really clever witty dialogue which I love. Will Gluck managed to do that in his previous film 'Easy A' so the man knows how to make a great dialogue driven film. The best thing though that Will does is the opening tour that he does of New York. I LOVE New York. I have been there twice and think it is the best city in the world. Sorry Sydney. This sequence made me fall in love with it all over again. The tour ends with a brilliant flash mob scene in Times Square which was awesome.
Justin Timberlake is certainly building up an impressive film resume. I really admire his choice of films and I like how he is moving away from just being a pretty faced pop star. This is one of his better roles and he definitely shows he has great skill with comedy. His character has this brilliant quirk during sex which I thought was hilarious. But the other wonderful thing about the film is the chemistry he has with Mila Kunis. I think that other undefinable quality I liked is the way Justin and Mila get along. Which is part of the problem I have with why are they not in a relationship. To me it looked like they were. Another wonderful part of the film was the support cast. Will Gluck has once again cast Patricia Clarkson as the mother of the female lead and you can easily see why. She is brilliant at playing a cool mum. I think she is very different here too and is just delightful. Woody Harrelson is hilarious as Justin's outspoken male friend. Jenna Elfman, who we don't see enough of on screen, is wonderful as Justin's sister. Equally wonderful is Richard Jenkins.
While I had a few problems with the concept I think this is one of the better romantic comedies I've seen. As long as you don't go in expecting too much gratuitous sex you should have a lot of fun with this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment