Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2


IT ALL ENDS!!!
As you will have read in my previous reviews, I'm not a huge fan of the Harry Potter series. I have only read the first four books and preferred to see out the series on the big screen. I know that I might loose some of the details but I don't mind. I saw the film at the midnight screening with a friend who is a huge fan. I think seeing it in this type of atmosphere helped to enhance my enjoyment of the film. That's not to say it is a bad film but it just made it more fun. This is essentially a great action film. The series has been building up to this final showdown and it is one big fight. It is really thrilling as Harry and his friends finally get to find out some of the secrets that people have been keeping. The one disappointing aspect of Part One was that they only found one Horcrux in the entire film. In this one though they find more and so the story moves along at a real fast pace. The other missing element from Part One was Hogwarts. It was great to be back at the school because it meant we caught up with some of the characters we didn't see in Part One. But the one surprising aspect for me was how emotional I found the film. There were some secrets revealed that let us see characters true intentions and we see them in an entirely new light. This bought more emotional weight to their outcome. There were a few disappointments. I was upset that one of Harry's friends had very little to do in the final battle. He only has what amounts to a small cameo. Considering how big an influence he was on Harry's life I expected him to feature more. The 'heaven' scene at the end came across as a bit cliched too. I did enjoy the 3D and there were a few scenes that were really enhanced by the added depth.
Daniel Radcliffe pulls out all the stops for his final dash as Harry Potter. He has certainly improved as an actor over the series and I will be interested to see how he goes now it has finished. Rupert Grint and Emma Watson are also equally as good. They can certainly handle the action as well as the emotional parts. The two of them also have a really great scene that I am told is not in the book. One person I missed in Part One was Maggie Smith. But she more than makes up for it here with a brilliant scene when Hogwarts comes under attack. Ralph Fiennes is wonderfully evil as Voldemort and proves to be a really formidable foe for Daniel. My favourite though was Alan Rickman. Snapes true intentions are revealed and we come to care a great deal for his character. Alan's great skill makes you come to love this character. I was also pleased that actors with smaller parts like Jim Broadbent, Miriam Margolyes and the brilliant Emma Thompson.
A fitting end to an excellent series. I think fans will get more out of it than non-fans. There is however enough action and excitement for the non-fans to be excited. I can't wait to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment