Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wild Target


Jonathyn Lynn is an English director with a very distinguished career. I am a fan of his film 'Nuns On The Run'. I also think that his film 'Greedy' is one of the most under appreciated films ever.

It is based on this as well as the cast that I came to the film with pretty high expectations. Sadly the film did not quite meet my expectations. Maybe they were just up too high. I don't think the film was as consistently funny as I was hoping. However this does not mean it is still not an enjoyable film. The story is pretty typical. A hit man who falls for his target and ends up protecting her rather than killing her. The only problem here is that some may find the age difference a bit creepy. I also enjoyed the ambiguity of Victor's sexuality. Victor has been so involved in his job for so long that he's never had a thought about sex. Then when the though is put in his head and then which type of sex he wants he is confused. One other problem I had was that the film was set in mostly one location. I understand that this was probably done for budgetary reasons, but the writers don't seem to make it very interesting. However the writers do create some wonderful slapstick moments as part of the comedy.

Bill Nighy, while an older actor, only seems to have been recently famous. He is excellent at playing comedy as well as drama and certainly brings that versatility to this role. Emily Blunt is wonderful at playing such quirky characters and can handle the comedy so well. Rupert Grint has always been my favourite from the 'Harry Potter' crew. I think he could have a great comedic career. Something he proves nicely here.

A very good English comedy that is entertaining. Some plot points maybe a bit weird but still lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment