Saturday, December 4, 2010

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1


We are drawing near to the end of the epic adventure series and one of the most successful film series of all time.

For first time readers I will explain a little bit about my feelings for 'Harry Potter'. I started reading the books just before they became hugely popular. I thought they were good, but not great. They reminded me a lot of Roald Dahl in style. I did however loose interest after the 4th book and have not read any further, choosing instead to rely on the movies to finish the story. I thought the first two films were awful and really badly written. They were too devoted to the books. Unlike the other films where they were not afraid to leave stuff out and change things a little. Which is why I liked them more. My favourite has been 'The Order Of The Phoenix' which is mainly due to the brilliant performance of Imelda Staunton.

It has been very hard for me to not hear about any major plot twists regarding the film. But luckily I have. While I've mostly experienced these characters in the movies I'm starting to get emotional about the final part of the journey they are going on. I liked how this film's story is a huge departure from previous ones in that it is not set in Hogwarts I miss the school because there are some characters from there that are not in the film. I did however like the way the film opened, especially with Hermione. I found that very heartbreaking. I know many have said that unless you have read the book then a lot of what happens does not mean much. I have not read the book but thought it was excellent. I was able to follow the story easily and did not have a problem understanding what was going on. My only problem with the film is a bit of a minor one, and that is that they only find and destroy one Horcrux in the whole film. While most would find it a bit of a drag, which I can understand, I found it a good way to help develop the characters more. The plot is fairly simple so it give you more time to know how they are feeling about what they in for. I felt we are going on a more emotional journey with these characters which makes the ending all the more exciting and thrilling. There are some excellent action sequences which I thought were really well staged.

Daniel Radcliffe has certainly grown into his role as Harry Potter. In the first few films, much like the other kids, he was not very convincing. But now he owns the role and gives it the enormous emotional weight it needs. Emma and Rupert are much the same. Emma has not always been that great for me but she gets more of a chance to show her range here. Rupert has always been my favourite and he still is. The adults in this movie are few and far between, amounting to mostly cameo appearances. Imelda Staunton is still brilliant.

I'm very excited to find out how this all ends. I'm expecting a real thrilling conclusion. We will loose some people and I'm bracing myself for it but I just hope I can keep it a secret until the film is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment