Thursday, August 5, 2010

Killers


We now come to the second of this years films about woman falling love with assassins. It is interesting what trends in film making that Hollywood will pick up on.

Most of the time I will go see a film regardless of what people think of it. I like to go see a film to judge it for myself. There are films I deliberately avoid cause I know they are bad and can't be bothered seeing them. But every so often a film comes along that gets some really bad reviews and recommendations but I can't help but want to see it just to see how bad it really is. Sometimes the film turn out to not be as bad I was lead to believe. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a good film. It is a bad movie, but it is not as horrendous as I thought it was going to be. The problem lies mostly with the writing and directing. The premise is quite good but Bob DeRosa and Ted Griffin have completely ruined it by writing a bad screenplay. The film is plotted really badly and the second act takes so long to kick in. Then there is the direction. Here in Australia we are pretty proud of Robert Luketic and the success he has had in Hollywood. I have not been too impressed myself as I've not enjoyed all his films. But they have all been moderately successful so he continues to get work. He has mostly been working in the romantic comedy genre and he tries his hand at adding some action with this film. I don't think he can handle it. Comparing it to 'Knight & Day' where the action is quite slick and one of its best aspects, here they are badly shot and not in the least bit interesting or thrilling.

I thought a few years ago that Katherine Heigl had a pretty promising career. But it looks like she has decided not to do anything promising. All she seems to want to do is ordinary romantic comedies. While she is trying a bit of action here it does not work. I did not really like her performance here and it was so boring. On the other hand I quite liked Ashton Kutcher. Ashton does make a few romantic comedies but here he gets the better of the two roles and show how he can handle some action. I think if he wanted to he could try a full on action film. The best performances though are reserved for Tom Selleck and Catherine O'Hara who are wonderful in their small roles.

While this movie is bad it is not as horrible as previously reported. Not worth seeing at the cinema but maybe check it out when on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment