Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Hurt Locker


When a film is built up and you get high expectations, it can be a worry. I usually try to let the film speak for itself and not get caught up in the hype. But when you read about film as much as I do it's a hard thing to avoid.

So it is not often that you get a film that hyped up really big and then exceeds your expectations. I cannot describe the feeling I had when I came out of this film. While I've not taken drugs, I think it is akin to being 'high'. This incredibly good feeling from having seen such a wonderful piece of art. This seems to be the only film about the Iraq War that has been any good. That's because it does not talk about the 'why' of the war but just the 'what'. It takes one small aspect and shows you what that is like rather than the big picture. Focusing on that small part is one interesting aspect. I am politically opposed to war. I'm going to make a huge declaration here that may shock many people. If the government ever introduced conscription (not very likely), I would much rather kill myself than have to go to war. For me that would be an easier and simpler solution as I'll more than likely end up dead anyway. This film does not do anything to change my mind. Being part of a bomb disposal unit would already be a very harrowing job, but when you add in some of the conditions these guys have to operate under it is mind boggling. I must say that this film gave me a new found respect for soldiers in Iraq and the situation they are going through. I cannot imagine the pressure they are under and how they are almost continually under fire. Every person they come across seems to be a potential enemy. What I found most interesting about the film was some of the interaction the soldiers have with the Iraq people. The people don't seem to understand the soldiers when they talk to them in some of the more tense situations. I'm not sure if it is a language problem or it is out of fear. Katheryn Bigelow is not a director that I've been all that fond of in the past. This film has completely changed my mind. She so deserves to win the Oscar for this film. And I'm sure she will.

I'm a little surprised that Jeremy Renner has not lined up any major roles for himself after all the hype he's received from the film. He gives a brilliant performance and I hope we see a lot more of him in the future. Jeremy's co-stars Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty are also brilliant in their roles. Especially Brian who I thought was fantastic. I'm surprised he did not get a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination. There are also some really nice cameo appearances in the film. While he is only on screen for a couple of minutes, I thought David Morse was the best.

A truly remarkable piece of film making that makes me so excited about the power of film and how effective it is at telling you a story. You need to leave now and go see this film. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment