Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo


Most of the time I will read a popular book before they make a film out of. But for some reason I did not do that here. In some ways I regret that decision.
I really enjoy a good mystery. I've been writing the script to a detective movie so I like to watch movies with a mystery to solve as a way to learn about the genre. This film is certainly one to learn from. The film has two concurrent stories. One is of Mikael, a journalist hired to find a girl who went missing 40 years ago. The other is of a computer hacker and her troubled life. The missing person story is really interesting. I was taken in by the story and how Mikael uses photos to try and find the girl. It is amazing how technology has come these days. I'm sure Mikael could not get as far as he does with his investigation without the use of computers. Then there is Lisbeth. She is such an amazing character. I'm sure that we will get to know her better over the course of the next two films in the trilogy and I can't wait. She has a troubled past which we get glimpses of in the film. After that troubled past she gets into more trouble in this film. I am amazed at her resilience and how she is able to survive the way she does. Lisbeth is one tough girl. It is this troubled past that help Mikael solve his case. It is this blending of the these two characters that makes the film great. I thought the romantic angle was a little cliched. I sometimes wish a man and a woman working together do not instantly fall in love. I was also surprised at the ending considering that there is a sequel.
I've not seen very many Swedish films sadly so these actors I'm seeing for the first time. Michael Nyqvist is excellent in this film. He does not really have the juiciest role, but makes an excellent mystery solver. The real revelation in this film though is Noomi Rapace. This girl is phenomenal in this film. I was totally blown away by how good she is here. Which ever American actress gets the role in the remake certainly has a tough task of following such an amazing performance.
You should rush out and see this superior Swedish film before Hollywood takes their turn at it. I know remakes are not always good but you never know. However this is such a brilliant film that there is alot to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment