Saturday, October 17, 2009

Whatever Works


Over the years I have come to admire some of the older comedians. It wasn’t until I saw ‘Bullets Over Broadway’ that I became a fan of Woody Allen. Over the years I’ve tried to see as many of his films as I can. Not only his new ones but his older stuff too. I think he is a gifted comedian and a good director. I’m always amazed at how he can make one film per year when most directors younger than he is can not manage that turn out. But not all his films are great and lately his strike rate has been very low.
Woody redeems himself with this film. I’m not sure if it is because he originally wrote it 30 odd years ago when he was funnier but this is the best film he has done in a long time. I was totally amazed at all the clever lines that were in the film. It is filled with hilarious one-liners. Many critics have not liked it and I think that is because he has created such an unlikeable character in Boris Yellnikoff. I just thought he was hilarious so did not mind that he was insulting everyone all the time. I also think that most people are getting sick of his ‘older-man/younger-woman’ romances. But it doesn’t bother me too much. Plus they say you should write what you know. In some ways the story is a little implausible but you tend to over look it when the film is as funny as it is. What I loved most though was the ‘breaking the fourth wall’ technique Woody uses here. I found it very clever and funny.
I have been a fan of Larry David for a while. He has done great work behind the scenes on ‘Seinfeld’ and both in front of and behind the scenes in ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’. His teaming up with Woody Allen is one of those matches you love to see. Larry is pretty much playing the same character he does in everything he does. He’s not an actor with all that much range but when he is as funny as this you don’t mind. He delivers so many clever one-liners so well. Rachel Evan Woods is a great young actress and can play dumb very well. Their relationship here reminded me of Woody and Mira Sorvino in ‘Mighty Aphrodite’. Although she is dumb she is using Boris for her own means. Rachel is also very funny in the film and plays her niceness well off Larry’s meanness. Patricia Clarkson is an excellent actress in all that she does. Here she does more great work.
I tend to think that only Woody Allen fans will get the most out of this film. With an unlikeable character and Woody’s usual romance it might turn some off. But if you are willing to over look that you will laugh yourself silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment