Friday, October 18, 2013

One Direction: This Is Us

One of my all time favourite documentaries is 'Super Size Me'. I felt I should check out his latest film. Honestly that is the reason I saw this.
I think it was very delusional of me to think that this film would be nothing more than a fan film for the massive hordes of One Direction fans. I did though have some tiny hope that with the Morgan Sporlock directing it that it might be a bit different to the run of the mill fan films you see about famous music artists. That was one of the many things that surprised me about this film. Why do you hire someone like Morgan, who has a slightly anarchic quality, to make such a generic film. My hope was that we might at least get some of that anarchic behavior which Morgan is famous for. Which brings me to my second problem with the film. The group mention several times that they are trying to not come across as a typical boy band and I get the impression that this is the reason they hired Morgan but it has not worked. For all their efforts to make them not seem like a boy band they come across as like every other boy band we have seen. Their songs are just like every other boy band and so are the boys themselves. The one interesting thing is trying to guess which one is gay. Which brings me to another problem with the film and that is the fans. I don't think I saw one male fan in the entire film when they showed crowd shots. They were always teenage girls. Is it possible that the only male fans they have are gay boys? Are the managers that control the boys so afraid of showing those male fans, that it might imply the boys are gay too? And in therefore loose their female fans because they no longer desirable. That would have been the one thing to make the film dramatically more enjoyable.
Definitely only for those who are die hard fans of the band One Direction. Not even those with a passing interest would be interested.  

No comments:

Post a Comment